In this 118th episode which we are publishing a few days before Mother’s Day, 2019, I welcome Dr. Gillian Isaac to the show to discuss the challenges of being a mother and a trainee and some important advice for how to make it through and feel supported. Happy Mother’s Day and Thank you to all you amazing mother’s out there!
In this 114th episode I welcome Dr. Jerry Stonemetz to the show to discuss the business side of Anesthesiology. Specifically we discuss billing, compliance, contract negotiation and Jerry’s thoughts on where the industry is heading.
Slides are here:
In this 110th episode I welcome Justin Harvey to the show. Justin is a financial planner with an interest in helping anesthesiologists and pain specialists make the best possible financial choices. We discuss financial planning, managing loan repayment, and investing.
Justin’s email: Justin@quantifiplanning.com
Justin’s podcast: AnesthesiaSuccess.com
Justin’s financial planning company: www.quantifiplanning.com
XY Planning network: https://www.xyplanningnetwork.com
Student Loan Planner: https://www.studentloanplanner.com
Resources for getting started with investing:
Other physician finance blogs Justin Recommends:
A fun calculator to see how soon you can retire based on your monthly free cash flow:
In this 107th episode I welcome Dr. Mike Fitzsimons back to the show to discuss the topic of suicide in physicians in general and in Anesthesia providers specifically.
- Bucknill JC, Duke DH. A Manual of Psychological Medicine. London, England: John Churchill;1958
- Yaghmour NA, Brigham TP, Richter T, Miller RS, Philibert I, Baldwin DC, Nasca TJ. Cause of Death of Residents in ACGME-Accredited Programs 2000-2014: Implications for the eLearning Environment. Acad Med 2017;92:976-983.
- Alexander BH, Checkoway H, Nagahama SI, Domino KB. Cause-specific Mortality Risks of Anesthesiologists. Anesthesiology 2000;93:922-930.
- Center C, Davis M, Detre T, Ford DE, Hansbrough, Hendin H, et al. Confronting Depression and Suicide in Physicians A Consensus Statement. JAMA 2003;289:3161-3166.
- Dyrbye LN, Eacker A, Durning SJ, Brazeau C, Moutier C, Massie FS, Satele D, Sloan JA, Shanafelt TD. The Impact of Stigma and Personal Experiences on the Help-Seeking Behaviors of Medical Students with Burnout. Acad Med 2015;90:961-9.
- Moutier C, Norcross W, Jong P, Normal M, Kirby B, McGuire T, Zisook S. The Suicide Prevention and Depression Awareness Program at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine. Acad Med 2010;87:320-326.
- Knox KL, Litts DA, Talcott GW, Feig JC, Caine ED. Risk of suicide and related outcomes after exposure to a suicide prevention programme in the US Air Force: cohort study. BMJ 2003;327:1-5
- DesRoches CM, Rao SR, Fromson JA, Iezzoni L, Vogeli C, Campbell EG. Physicians’ Perceptions, Preparedness for Reporting Impaired and Incompetent Colleagues. JAMA 2010;304:187-193.
- Bruce DL, Eide KA, Linde HW, Eckenhoff JE. Causes of Death among Anesthesiologists: A 20-Year Survey. Anesthesiology 1968;29:565-569.
- Knox KL, Pflanz S, Talcott GW, Campise RL, Lavigne JE, Bjorska A, Tu X, Caine ED. The US Air Force Suicide Prevention Program: Implications for Public Health Policy. Am J Public Health 2010;100:2457-2463.
- Hazell P. Adolescent suicide clusters: Evidence, mechanisms, and prevention. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 1993;27:653-665.
In this 102nd episode I welcome Dr. Dan Lowenstein to the show. Dr. Lowenstein is a professor of Neurology and the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost at University of California San Francisco (UCSF). We discuss his lessons and advice for how to be successful professionally and personally.
The Three Marriages book: http://www.davidwhyte.com/the-three-marriages/
In this episode, episode 99, I welcome Dr. Mike Fitzsimons from MGH to the show to talk about substance abuse in anesthesia providers and his recent article in Anesthesiology detailing their program to decrease rates of abuse.
In this episode, episode 78, I do something a little different as I review the fantastically interesting book, “The Obesity Code: Unlocking the secrets of weight loss”, by Dr. Jason Fung. Full disclosure, there’s no real relationship to anesthesia and critical care, just some really interesting insights into the obesity epidemic and what can be done about it.
In this episode, episode 65 and the last of 2017, I give my tips and tricks for being as efficient as possible with your time management so that you can maximize your success with your work and your life in general. Have a wonderful holiday and start to the new year!
Outline by Brian Park: Outline