In this 149th episode I discuss common challenges to the transition from intern year to CA1 year including some of why it’s difficult, the mistakes commonly made, the causes of those mistakes and some suggested solutions. Although I focus on the intern to CA1 transition, much of this applies to any major transition in life.
In this 148th episode I welcome Dr. Fitzsimons back to the show to discuss the use of marijuana in healthcare providers. We discuss what we know about prevalence, what the potential consequences are, what the status of testing is, and what we may see happen in the future.
NEJM article on adverse effects of marijuana: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24897085
In this 137th episode I welcome Steve Kaufman to the show to discuss contracts and negotiation for doctors. Steve is a lawyer with decades of experience helping doctors negotiate contracts.
If you have questions for Steve you can contact him directly at 410-659-1385, or email at SKaufman@wcslaw.com and he’s on twitter at @SKaufmanWCS
In this 131st episode I welcome Drs. Meeks, Brookman and Fitzsimons to the show to discuss what it means to be a resident with a disability, what needs to be done to assure adequate and legal accommodations for these trainees, and why it’s important to do so.
Meeks LM, Herzer KR. Prevalence of self-disclosed disability among medical students in US allopathic medical schools. Jama. 2016 Dec 6;316(21):2271-2. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2589334
Meeks, L.M., & Jain, N.R. (2018). Accessibility, inclusion, and action in medical education: Lived experiences of learners and physicians with disabilities. Washington, D.C.: Association of American Medical Colleges.
Meeks, L.M., Herzer, K., & Jain, N.R. (2018). Removing barriers and facilitating access: Increasing the number of physicians with disabilities (Invited Commentary).Academic Medicine, 93(4), 540-543. doi:10.1097/ACM.0000000000002112 https://bit.ly/2Gyx53x
Meeks, L.M., & Jain, N.R. (2018). Accessibility, inclusion, and action in medical education: Lived experiences of learners and physicians with disabilities. Washington, D.C.: Association of American Medical Colleges. https://store.aamc.org/accessibility-inclusion-and-action-in-medical-education-lived-experiences-of-learners-and-physicians-with-disabilities.html
Meeks LM, Jain NR. The guide to assisting students with disabilities: equal access in health science and professional education. Springer Publishing Company; 2015 Aug 13. https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=a1LSCgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=Meeks+LM&ots=uXnapo3t_7&sig=2HN6lTPwBo7G9VdlXht9cIccrXg#v=onepage&q=Meeks%20LM&f=false
Fitzsimons MG, Brookman JC, Arnholz SH, Baker K. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and successful completion of anesthesia residency: a case report. Academic Medicine. 2016 Feb 1;91(2):210-4. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26244258
Schwarz CM, Zetkulic M. You Belong in the Room: Addressing the Underrepresentation of Physicians With Physical Disabilities. Academic Medicine. 2019;94(1):17-9. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30157092
AAMC Webinars on Disability. https://www.aamc.org/members/gsa/pdopportunities/427068/archivedwebinars.html
In this 118th episode which we are publishing a few days before Mother’s Day, 2019, I welcome Dr. Gillian Isaac to the show to discuss the challenges of being a mother and a trainee and some important advice for how to make it through and feel supported. Happy Mother’s Day and Thank you to all you amazing mother’s out there!
In this 114th episode I welcome Dr. Jerry Stonemetz to the show to discuss the business side of Anesthesiology. Specifically we discuss billing, compliance, contract negotiation and Jerry’s thoughts on where the industry is heading.
Slides are here:
In this 110th episode I welcome Justin Harvey to the show. Justin is a financial planner with an interest in helping anesthesiologists and pain specialists make the best possible financial choices. We discuss financial planning, managing loan repayment, and investing.
Justin’s email: Justin@quantifiplanning.com
Justin’s podcast: AnesthesiaSuccess.com
Justin’s financial planning company: www.quantifiplanning.com
XY Planning network: https://www.xyplanningnetwork.com
Student Loan Planner: https://www.studentloanplanner.com
Resources for getting started with investing:
Other physician finance blogs Justin Recommends:
A fun calculator to see how soon you can retire based on your monthly free cash flow:
In this 107th episode I welcome Dr. Mike Fitzsimons back to the show to discuss the topic of suicide in physicians in general and in Anesthesia providers specifically.
- Bucknill JC, Duke DH. A Manual of Psychological Medicine. London, England: John Churchill;1958
- Yaghmour NA, Brigham TP, Richter T, Miller RS, Philibert I, Baldwin DC, Nasca TJ. Cause of Death of Residents in ACGME-Accredited Programs 2000-2014: Implications for the eLearning Environment. Acad Med 2017;92:976-983.
- Alexander BH, Checkoway H, Nagahama SI, Domino KB. Cause-specific Mortality Risks of Anesthesiologists. Anesthesiology 2000;93:922-930.
- Center C, Davis M, Detre T, Ford DE, Hansbrough, Hendin H, et al. Confronting Depression and Suicide in Physicians A Consensus Statement. JAMA 2003;289:3161-3166.
- Dyrbye LN, Eacker A, Durning SJ, Brazeau C, Moutier C, Massie FS, Satele D, Sloan JA, Shanafelt TD. The Impact of Stigma and Personal Experiences on the Help-Seeking Behaviors of Medical Students with Burnout. Acad Med 2015;90:961-9.
- Moutier C, Norcross W, Jong P, Normal M, Kirby B, McGuire T, Zisook S. The Suicide Prevention and Depression Awareness Program at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine. Acad Med 2010;87:320-326.
- Knox KL, Litts DA, Talcott GW, Feig JC, Caine ED. Risk of suicide and related outcomes after exposure to a suicide prevention programme in the US Air Force: cohort study. BMJ 2003;327:1-5
- DesRoches CM, Rao SR, Fromson JA, Iezzoni L, Vogeli C, Campbell EG. Physicians’ Perceptions, Preparedness for Reporting Impaired and Incompetent Colleagues. JAMA 2010;304:187-193.
- Bruce DL, Eide KA, Linde HW, Eckenhoff JE. Causes of Death among Anesthesiologists: A 20-Year Survey. Anesthesiology 1968;29:565-569.
- Knox KL, Pflanz S, Talcott GW, Campise RL, Lavigne JE, Bjorska A, Tu X, Caine ED. The US Air Force Suicide Prevention Program: Implications for Public Health Policy. Am J Public Health 2010;100:2457-2463.
- Hazell P. Adolescent suicide clusters: Evidence, mechanisms, and prevention. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 1993;27:653-665.
In this 102nd episode I welcome Dr. Dan Lowenstein to the show. Dr. Lowenstein is a professor of Neurology and the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost at University of California San Francisco (UCSF). We discuss his lessons and advice for how to be successful professionally and personally.
The Three Marriages book: http://www.davidwhyte.com/the-three-marriages/
In this episode, episode 99, I welcome Dr. Mike Fitzsimons from MGH to the show to talk about substance abuse in anesthesia providers and his recent article in Anesthesiology detailing their program to decrease rates of abuse.