In this 160th episode I welcome Dr. Dave Berman back to the show to discuss anesthesia for non-OB surgery during pregnancy.
1. Practice Guidelines for Obstetric Anesthesia: An Updated Report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Obstetric Anesthesia and the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology. Anesthesiology 2016;124(2):270–300.
2. Nonobstetric Surgery During Pregnancy – ACOG [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jul 18];Available from: https://www.acog.org/Clinical-Guidance-and-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Nonobstetric-Surgery-During-Pregnancy?IsMobileSet=false
3. Tolcher MC, Fisher WE, Clark SL. Nonobstetric Surgery During Pregnancy. ObstetGynecol 2018;132(2):395–403.
4. UpToDate [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jul 18];Available from: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/management-of-the-pregnant-patientundergoing-nonobstetric-surgery
5. Upadya M, Saneesh PJ. Anaesthesia for non-obstetric surgery during pregnancy. Indian J Anaesth 2016;60(4):234–41.
6. Reitman E, Flood P. Anaesthetic considerations for non-obstetric surgery duringpregnancy. Br J Anaesth 2011;107 Suppl 1:i72–8.
7. Nejdlova M, Johnson T. Anaesthesia for non-obstetric procedures during pregnancy. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2012;12(4):203–6.
8. Mazze RI, Källén B. Reproductive outcome after anesthesia and operation during pregnancy: a registry study of 5405 cases. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1989;161(5):1178–85.
9. Committee on Obstetric Practice and the American Society of Anesthesiologists. Committee Opinion No. 696: Nonobstetric Surgery During Pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2017;129(4):777–8.
10. Wilcox AJ, Weinberg CR, O’Connor JF, et al. Incidence of early loss of pregnancy. N Engl J Med 1988;319(4):189–94.
11. Davidson AJ, Disma N, de Graaff JC, et al. Neurodevelopmental outcome at 2 years of age after general anaesthesia and awake-regional anaesthesia in infancy (GAS): an international multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2016;387(10015):239–50.
12. Sun LS, Li G, Miller TLK, et al. Association Between a Single General Anesthesia Exposure Before Age 36 Months and Neurocognitive Outcomes in Later Childhood. JAMA 2016;315(21):2312–20.
13. Center for Drug Evaluation, Research. FDA Drug Safety Communication [Internet]. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 21];Available from: http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-drug-safety-communicationfda-review-results-new-warnings-about-using-general-anesthetics-and
14. Huang S-Y, Lo P-H, Liu W-M, et al. Outcomes After Nonobstetric Surgery in Pregnant Patients: A Nationwide Study. Mayo Clin Proc 2016;91(9):1166–72.