Anesthesia and Critical Care Reviews and Commentary (ACCRAC) Podcast
Episode 105: Blood Management Part 1 With Drs. Frank & Cha
In this 105th episode, which will be the first part in a series on blood management, I turn over the mic to Dr. Stephanie Cha who interviews Dr. Steve Frank about blood management in cardiac surgery and how to do “bloodless” surgery for patients who refuse blood transfusions.
1. Myles PS, Smith JA, Forbes A, Silbert B, Jayarajah M, Painter T, Cooper DJ, Marasco S, McNeil J, Bussieres JS, McGuinness S, Byrne K, Chan MT, Landoni G, Wallace S, Network AIotACT. Tranexamic acid in patients undergoing coronary-artery surgery. N Engl J Med 2017;376:136-48.
2. Frank SM, Wick EC, Dezern AE, Ness PM, Wasey JO, Pippa AC, Dackiw E, Resar LM. Risk-adjusted clinical outcomes in patients enrolled in a bloodless program. Transfusion 2014;54:2668-77.
3. Cho BC, DeMario VM, Grant MC, Hensley NB, Brown CHt, Hebbar S, Mandal K, Whitman GJ, Frank SM. Discharge hemoglobin level and 30-day readmission rates after coronary artery bypass surgery. Anesth Analg 2018.
4. Pattakos G, Koch CG, Brizzio ME, Batizy LH, Sabik JF, 3rd, Blackstone EH, Lauer MS. Outcome of patients who refuse transfusion after cardiac surgery: A natural experiment with severe blood conservation. Arch Intern Med 2012;172:1154-60.
5. Frank SM, Scott AV, Resar LM. Bloodless medicine and surgery: Top 10 things to consider.Anesthesiology News 2016.